Sunday 20 September 2009

Orange scented scones and some jam-related antics


I have a confession to make - recently I really seem to have lost my baking mojo. I came home from work the other night and had visions of a sweet, moist apricot frangipane tart. A couple of hours later, I had the toughest crust known to man in front of me with a heavy, eggy filling. Not what I had in mind at all! Then my attempts at a thin, crisp pizza base last night resulted in something much more like a large cracker. And pancakes this morning? Disaster! I mean, pancakes??! How can I mess those up? Hmmm. Not good.

So there was a part of me that was dreading this week's Sweet Melissa Sundays recipe. But I persevered! Not wanting such fearful follies getting the better of me, I bit the bullet. It helped that I had a group of close friends coming over for a jam making sesh (the first meeting of the Sweet Supper Club founders but more on that another time) and what goes better with jam that orange scented scones??

A sunday afternoon of jam making fuelled by tea from pretty cups and glasses of pink bubbly! What could be better? Here are some of the lovely ladies in question...

And here's Laura dutifully munching away on the scone. If only they'd been edible! But I fear the fault is TOTALLY mine. The dreaded baking curse strikes again! I did something I've never done before - I misread the recipe and added too much salt. Ew. Ew ew ew. Salty scone, anyone??! Didn't think so. But I have to say, the texture was divine! Once piled high with clotted cream and JJ's mum's greengage jam (ours wasn't quite ready) they were yum. But then cardboard is yum with that much cream and jam...

So many thanks to Robin of Lady Craddock's Bakery and I'm so sorry to have messed them up! I have to move on now otherwise I'm going to start sobbing over my keyboard...

The jam! Look as these furry fleshed beauties...

We made two jams - cinnamon peach (yes! Sweet Melissa's cinnamon peach preserve!) and plum jam.

Ooo, bubbly, peachy, cinnamon scented yumminess...

Here's Laura stirring the plum jam. Did feel a little bit like a coven of witches gathered around a steaming cauldron, but I get the feeling that if the only thing witches did was produce sweet preserves they might have a slightly better reputation.

I was less impressed by the plum jam. If I'm totally honest with you, the curse struck again (seriously, how much can I mess up in one week??!) and it's not really jam, more of a slightly gloopy plum sauce. Oh well!

The brightside is how darn cute they look!!! What a feeling of satisfaction, looking at rows and rows of homemade jams.

Sky requested that we fill up these mini jam jars. Aren't they just about the most adorable things ever?

Just perched happily atop its bigger brother. Too cute.

So apologies again for being a total muppet and messing up this week's SMS - hopefully the new week will bring better cooking vibes and I shall create some food to be proud of. I'll keep you posted!

Rosy xx

Ps Don't forget to have a look at the other SMS bakers!

10 comments:

  1. Well at least the texture was perfect! And they look delicious. What fun to have a jam making party! I love your jars and the jam looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, although your scones didn't come out as well as you wanted it to, you still made them!

    Your jams and jars are so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry your scones didn't turn out quite right, but your jam looks heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum your scones look divine and the jam making looks so fun. I love all the picutes, especially of all the girls hanging out and eating scones!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a wonderful way to spend a day!! Beautiful :)

    Katie xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your jam jars are so adorable, both big and small! I did a little jam-making a few weeks ago, and now that I've rested up, I think I can do some more. The cinnamon peach sounds delicious. I'll have to dog-ear that cookbook page.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love making jams and preserves; your look delicious and I love your jars. Thanks for baking along with me this week even if your baking chi is off just a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for all the lovely comments! I ate some of the cinnamon peach last night and it's sooooooo good! I think I'm going to have to make another batch in the near future as I'm eating my way through christmas presents... x

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look SO cute, and it looks like you all had fun!!

    Alyshia

    ReplyDelete